Back to Howard County Recreation
Turkey River Campground - Vernon Springs Park
Vernon Springs, IA
A 114-acre park nestled deep in the valley amid the woods along the Turkey River.
The Turkey River Campground is now open to the public and awaiting to be discovered in the woods surrounding the Prairie's Edge Nature Center!
The Howard County Conservation Board is excited to promote their newest campground area and facilities, the Turkey River Campground in Vernon Springs Park. Protected by woods and amid the scenic view of the Turkey River, the campground is located up a winding country road just beyond the Prairie's Edge Nature Center. The campground is NOW OPEN to the public for the camping season (May through October). The Turkey River Campground offers campers individual electrical and water hook-ups, camping pads, a bath/shower house, and playground equipment.
The campground offers 46 camping sites, including 17 drive-thrus. Each campsite is equipped with its own water and its own 50-30-110 amp electrical hook-up. Playground equipment located at the entrance to the campground and modern shower/restroom facilities can also be found here. As with all of our Howard County parks, campsites are on a "first come, first serve" basis. We do not take reservations at this time.
Camping Fees: Please check the self registration board for current rates. Self registration must be completed within one hour of arrival. As with all of our Howard County parks, campsites are on a "first come, first serve" basis. We do not take reservations at this time.
From HWY 9 in Cresco at the west set of stop lights, go south on 3rd St. W one block, take a right onto 4th Ave SW, and take the next left onto Vernon Road. Stay on Vernon Road. It will change into Valley Avenue. You will see the Prairie's Edge Nature Center on the east side (left side) of the road about 2 miles south of Cresco. Come into the driveway and go to the left when the driveway forks.
Projects through the spring and summer of 2005 included drilling a well, seeding the grass, building a showerhouse facility, and finishing the electrical wiring. The water system was also completed and water pressure reports from campers on the showerhouse are good! Our test run was the last week in July 2005 when the RAGBRAI riders went through Cresco. We passed with flying colors, or should we say flying water! Also, in the fall of 2005 new playground equipment was installed inside the campground area!
In the spring of 2006 we will install a self registering system and plant trees.
Please call the Howard County Conservation Board office Mon-Fri at 563-547-3634 with any questions.
- All campers must register.
- No more than one camping unit per campsite.
- All visitors must be out of the park by 10:30 p.m.
- Radios, TV's or other noise making devices shall under no circumstances be used between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. outside of the camping unit.
- Fires can be built only in designated areas.
- All campers are expected to keep their campsite clean and in an orderly manner.
- All waste and trash will be placed only in receptacles provided for that purpose.
- Possession of keg beer is prohibited, unless authorized by the HCCB Director.
- All pets in the park must be kept confined or on a leash and kept under control.
- The cutting of trees, dead or alive, is absolutely prohibited.
- Check-out time is at 3:00 p.m.
- Maximum length stay is 14 days.
Howard County Map
Back to Howard County Recreation